|Traded as||SZSE: 000063, SEHK: 0763|
|Headquarters||Shenzhen, Guangdong, China|
|Key people||Hou Weigui (Chairman)
Shi Lirong (President)1
|Products||Mobile phones, hardware, software and services to telecommunications service providers and enterprises|
|Revenue||CN¥ 86,254.5 million (2011)1|
|Operating income||CN¥ 429.5 million (2011)1|
|Net income||CN¥ 1,067.2 million (2011)1|
|Total assets||CN¥ 105,368.1 million (2011)1|
|Literal meaning||Central Prosperity Communications Corporation|
ZTE Corporation (formerly Zhongxing Telecommunication Equipment Corporation) is a Chinese multinational telecommunications equipment and systems company headquartered in Shenzhen, China. It is the world's fourth-largest mobile phone manufacturer measured by 2012 unit sales2 and the world's fifth-largest telecoms equipment maker measured by 2011 revenues (after Ericsson, Huawei, Alcatel-Lucent and Nokia Siemens Networks).3
ZTE's core products are wireless, exchange, access, optical transmission and data telecommunications gear; mobile phones;4 and telecommunications software.5 It also offers products that provide value-added services,6 such as video on demand and streaming media.7 ZTE primarily sells products under its own name but it is also an OEM, manufacturing some products which retail under other brand names.8
ZTE, like many large Chinese companies, has its roots in the Chinese State having been created in 1985 by a group of earlier investors, some state-owned enterprises associated with China's Ministry of Aerospace.9 Ties to the state notwithstanding, the corporation is publicly traded having made an initial public offering (IPO) on the Shenzhen stock exchange in 1997 and another on the Hong Kong stock exchange in December, 2004.9
While the company initially profited from domestic sales,10 it vowed to use money from its 2004 Hong Kong IPO to further expand R&D, overseas sales to developed nations and overseas production.9 Making headway in the international telecom market in 2006, it took 40% of new global orders for CDMA networks11 topping the world CDMA equipment market by number of shipments.12 That same year also saw ZTE find a customer in the Canadian Telus13 and membership in the Wi-Fi Alliance.14 More customers in developed nations soon followed Telus' lead, and in 2007 ZTE had sold to UK's Vodafone, Spain's Telefonica and the Australian Telstra,13 as well as garnering the greatest number of CDMA contracts globally.15 By 2008 ZTE would be able to claim its customer base was truly global, as it had made sales in 140 countries.13
In 2009 the company had become the worldwide third-largest vendor of GSM telecom equipment, and ZTE sales accounted for about 20% of all GSM gear sold throughout the world that year.16 As of 2011 it holds around 7% of the key 3GPP Long Term Evolution patents,17 and that same year it launched the world's first smartphone with dual GPS/GLONASS navigation, MTS 945. ZTE devotes 10% of its annual revenue on research and development each year. The Company was ranked World No. 1 in Patent Applications by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in 2012 for a second consecutive year.18
ZTE has several international subsidiaries
ZTE entered the Australian market in 2005,19 and ZTE (Australia) Pty Ltd,20 as of 2009, acts as the exclusive supplier of ZTE handsets, network cards and other products to customers, such as Telstra, in Australia.
ZTE (Hong Kong) Ltd. (China) serves in such area as global contract manufacturing.
Products can be roughly arranged into three categories: equipment used by network operators (links and nodes, etc.), equipment used to access networks (terminals), and services, which includes software.24
- Mobile phones
In 2011, ZTE announced 2 tablets at Mobile World Congress, the ZTE V11 that runs Android 3.0, and the Z-pad.26
- Mobile Hotspots
A good number of ZTE's customers are outside of China. While the majority are developing country mobile network operators, ZTE products see use in developed countries as well. The UK's Vodafone, Canadian Telus, Turkey's Turkcell Avea and Public Mobile, Australia's Telstra, as well as France Telecom have all purchased equipment from ZTE.30
In the United States ZTE USA manufactures mobile phones and broadband devices for multiple wireless carriers including AT&T, Cricket, MetroPCS, Sprint (Including Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile USA), T-Mobile, TracFone, and Verizon.
Norwegian telecommunications giant Telenor, one of the world’s largest mobile operators, banned ZTE from "participating in tenders and new business opportunities because of an alleged breach of its code of conduct in a procurement proceeding” during a five month time span ending in March, 2009. Now the Telenor group is reconsidering work and contract with ZTE.35
In December 2010, ZTE sold to Telecommunication Company of Iran, which is controlled by the government, a system for eavesdropping on phone and Internet communications.37 This system may help Iran monitor and track political dissidents.
- "Annual Report 2011". ZTE Corporation. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- http://www.isuppli.com/Mobile-and-Wireless-Communications/News/Pages/Samsung-Displaces-Nokia-as-Top-CellphoneBrand-in-2012-and-Takes-Decisive-Smartphone-Lead-Over-Apple.aspx. Missing or empty
- "China's ZTE Q1 net income trails forecasts". Reuters. 25 April 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Product Portfolio ZTE Official Site
- ZTE Secures More than Half of China Unicom GSM Value-Added Service System 2008 Tender ZTE Official Site, 2008-12-15
- ZTE Corp's Company Description Businessweek.com
- UPDATE 3-LSI sees second half better than first reuters.com, Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:14pm EST
- A Global Telecom Titan Called...ZTE? Businessweek.com, March 7, 2005
- UPDATE 1-ZTE says 2010 net profit up 32 pct on better sales reuters.com, Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:33am EST
- China-based Huawei and Murali make headway in global telecom market DigiTimes.com. March 9, 2007
- ZTE tops 2006 international CDMA market. CIOL Bureau. March 8, 2007
- History ZTE Official Site
- ZTE joins Wi-Fi Alliance----- one of the first Chinese members ZTE Official Site, 2006-08-30
- ZTE Tops 2007 Global CDMA Market ZTE Official Site, 2008-01-30
- INTERVIEW-China's ZTE aims for fifth of global GSM gear market reuters.com, Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:53pm EST
- China's ZTE targets 10 pct of LTE patents reuters.com, Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:07am EST
- "ZTE Ranked World No. 1 in Patent Applications for Second Straight Year". http://www.cnbc.com. CNBC. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- About ZTE ZTE Australia Official Site
- Global Sales Offices > Asia Pacific ZTE Official Site
- ZTE opens new office in Bonn, Germany ZTE Official Site, 2008-11-18
- Pocket Communications Launches ZTE's Tri-Band C79 and C78 ZTE Official Site,2009-04-02
- ZTE Opens LTE Laboratory in North America ZTE Official Site, 2009-10-20
- "ZTE Corp (ZTCOF.PK): Overview; Full description". Thompson Reuters. Retrieved 2012-05-13.
- "ZTE confirms security hole in U.S. phone". reuters.com (Thompson Reuters). May 18, 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- ZTE Launches Two Android Tablets: Dual-core Z-pad and Android 3.0 V11 at MWC
- ZTE V9 Android tablet revealed androidcommunity.com, 12 October 2010
- V9 product page ZTE Official Site
- dead link
- For Vodafone and France Telecom sales, see ZTE Wins China Mobile WAP Expansion Contract ZTE Official Site, 20071016
- For Telus sales, see ZTE Breaks into North America with First Shipment of 3G Terminals for Canada ZTE Official Site, 2006/09/26
- For Public Mobile sales, see ZTE Partners with Public Mobile to Build CDMA Network in Canada ZTE Official Site, 2010-06-03
- China Netcom´s first IPTV agreement confirms ZTE as major international IPTV network provider ZTE Official Site, 20060830
- ZTE to Build World's First AVSIPTV Commercial Network with China Netcom Group ZTE Official Site, 20071206
- ZTE to Install the World´s Largest Optical Transmission Network ZTE Official Site, 20060830
- ZTE Partners with China Mobile to Complete IndustryFirst Commercial IMSBased HD Video Conference System ZTE Official Site, 20091127
- ZTE and China Satcom to provide GoTa network for China´s 10th National Games ZTE Official Site, 20060830
- ZTE Bags Major Value Added Services Contracts in China ZTE Official Site, 2006/11/14
- ZTE bags China Telecom´s largest metropolitan NGN project ZTE Official Site, 20060830
- ZTE Inks 1.33 billion RMB CDMA Contract with China Telecom ZTE Official Site, 20081120
- ZTE Exclusively Awarded IPTV Project by China Telecom, Jiangsu Branch ZTE Official Site, 20060830
- ZTE to install first polyphonic ringtone gateway for China Telecom ZTE Official Site, 20060830
- ZTE Strengthens Competitive Position with Third China Telecom IPTV Project ZTE Official Site, 20060830
- ZTE Helps China Telecom Achieve the Recognition as First in the World to Offer EPONbased 3G Services ZTE Official Site, 20090407
- ZTE Collaborates with China Telecom to Build IMS Network Solution ZTE Official Site, 20091130
- Norway's telco giant bans ZTE for 6 months abs-cbnnews.com, 10/21/2008
- Arroyo suspends telecoms deal with Chinese firm reuters.com, Sep 22, 2007
- Steve Stecklow (22 March 2012). "Special Report: Chinese firm helps Iran spy on citizens". Reuters. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- U.S. panel cites risks in Chinese Equipment October 9, 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: ZTE Corporation|
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA