Voiceless palatal lateral fricative
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
|Voiceless palatal lateral fricative|
|Unicode (hex)||U+028E U+0325 U+02D4|
The IPA has no dedicated symbol for this sound. The devoicing and raising diacritics may be used to transcribe it: ⟨ʎ̝̊⟩ (decimal ʎ̥˔). However, the "belt" on the existing symbol for a voiceless lateral fricative, ⟨ɬ⟩, forms the basis for occasional ad hoc symbols for the other lateral fricatives, the third one, ⟨ ⟩, representing the palatal lateral fricative:
Features of the voiceless palatal lateral fricative:
- Its manner of articulation is fricative, which means it is produced by constricting air flow through a narrow channel at the place of articulation, causing turbulence.
- Its place of articulation is palatal, which means it is articulated with the middle or back part of the tongue raised to the hard palate.
- Its phonation is voiceless, which means it is produced without vibrations of the vocal cords.
- It is an oral consonant, which means air is allowed to escape through the mouth only.
- It is a lateral consonant, which means it is produced by directing the airstream over the sides of the tongue, rather than down the middle.
- The airstream mechanism is pulmonic, which means it is articulated by pushing air solely with the lungs and diaphragm, as in most sounds.
|Dahalo||ʎ̝̊aːbu||'leaf'||Contrasts with [ɬ] and [ɬʷ].|
|Hadza||tla'a||cʎ̝̊aʔa||'to follow', 'to meet'||The Hadza lateral fricative is [ɬ]. Ejective [cʎ̝̊ʼ] contrasts with velar [kʟ̝̊ʼ], an allophone of [kxʼ]|
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA