||This article uses bare URLs for citations. (March 2013)|
The label of transgender male is not interchangeable with that of transsexual male although the two are often combined or mistaken for the same thing. The difference is that while transgender males identify with the male gender identity, transsexual males may intend to undergo physical changes to align their body with their gender identity. A transgender male is someone whose gender identity is male, but who does not necessarily change himself physically.citation needed
The term "trans man" is used as a short form for either identity (transsexual man and transgender man).4 Trans men may identify as transsexual, as transgender, neither, or both.5 "Transgender man" is an umbrella term that may include anybody who was assigned the female sex at birth but identifies as male. For instance, some drag kings, cross dressers, androgynous, bigender, and genderqueer people might identify as transgender.6
The term "transsexual" originated in the medical and psychological communities. However, unlike the term transgender, transsexual is not an umbrella term, and many transgender people do not identify themselves as such.57
The FTM community has coined the phrase transfag to describe a trans man attracted to other men.8 However, this phrase is still controversial because of its previous usage as a derogatory slur directed towards trans women.
Originally, the term "trans men" referred specifically to female-to-male transsexual people who underwent HRT and/or surgery. In recent years, the definition of "transition" has broadened to include theories of psychological development or complementary methods of self-acceptance.910
Transsexual men may seek medical interventions such as hormones and surgery to make their bodies as congruent as possible with their gender presentation. However, many transgender and transsexual men cannot afford or choose not to undergo surgery or hormone replacement therapy. Many who have not undergone top surgery choose to bind their breasts. There are a few different methods of binding, including using sports bras. Tape or bandages should never be used for binding as they tighten with wear and compress the ribcage, resulting in injury.
Transitioning might involve some or all of the following steps:11
- Social transition: name change, wearing clothing seen as gender appropriate, disclosure to family, friends and usually at the workplace
- Sex reassignment therapy: hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and/or surgery
- Legal affirmation: name and (sometimes) sex marker correction in legal identification documents.1213 Being socially accepted as male (sometimes known as passing) may be challenging for trans men who have not undergone HRT and/or surgery.1213 Some trans men may choose to present as female in certain social situations (e.g. at work).1213 After physical transition, trans men usually live full-time as male.1213
- Buck Angel, an adult film actor and director14
- Ben Barres, an American neurobiologist who teaches at Stanford University15
- Anthony Barreto-Neto, Medical and cultural Educator, international activist, Public Speaker, subject of 20/20 interview on Transexuals in law enforcement, 16[ Kim Pearce writer/director], T.O.P.S. Transgender Officers Protect and Serve 17
- Thomas Beatie, an American advocate for transgender rights. Also became famous as the "pregnant man".
- Chaz Bono, American author and activist, the only child born out of musicians Sonny Bono and Cher's marriage18
- Willmer "Little Ax" Broadnax (1916–1994), an African-American hard gospel quartet singer
- Balian Buschbaum, German pole vaulter
- Alec Butler, Canadian playwright and filmmaker
- Meryn Cadell, Canadian singer, writer and performance artist
- Patrick Califia, writer and poet19
- Loren Cameron, American photographer, author and activist20
- Ryan Cassata, American Singer-songwriter, public speaker and transgender activist21
- Harry Leo Crawford, Australian convicted murderer and victim of a miscarriage of justice born Eugenia Falleni 22
- Aaron Devor, Canadian sociologist and sexologist
- Michael Laurence Dillon (1915–1962), physician and author
- Robert Eads (1945–1999), subject of documentary Southern Comfort
- Reed Erickson (1917–1992), businessman and philanthropist
- Tyler Ford, actor/singer featured on The Glee Project
- Jack Bee Garland (1869–1936), American journalist, nurse, and adventurer
- Alexander John Goodrum (1960–2002), an African American transgender civil rights activist
- Jamison Green, writer and educator23
- Alan L. Hart (1890–1962), an American physician who pioneered the use of x-ray photography in tuberculosis detection, and helped implement TB screening programs
- Ian Harvie, American stand-up comedian
- Katastrophe (Rocco Katastrophe Kayiatos) Homo-Hop MC24
- Andreas Krieger, German shot putter252627
- Shannon Minter, attorney28
- Ryan Sallans, Trans-activist and public speaker29
- Lucas Silveira, rock musician.
- Lou Sullivan (1951–1991), American author, biographer and founder of FTM International
- Brandon Teena (1972–1993), a victim of a hate crime, subject of the film Boys Don't Cry
- Billy Tipton (1914–1989), an American jazz pianist and saxophonist30
- Del Lagrace Volcano, performer and photographer3132
- Max Wolf Valerio, poet, writer and performer33
- Stephen Whittle OBE, PhD., Professor of Equalities Law in the School of Law at Manchester Metropolitan University, and an active member of the United Kingdom TransActivist organisation Press for Change34
- Kortney Ryan Ziegler PhD., Filmmaker and scholar
- Rev. Dr. Cameron Partridge D.Th., Episcopal Chaplain at Harvard, and Lecturer in the Committee on Degrees in women, Gender and Sexuality.3536
- Cidny Bullens American singer/songwriter/recording artist
- Boys Don't Cry, drama
- Southern Comfort, 2001 documentary
- Transparent, documentary
- Pick Up the Mic, documentary (features two FTM artists)
- My Dearest Senorita, 1972 Spanish drama film
- TransGeneration, documentary miniseries
- Gender Rebel, 2006 documentary
- Mom, I Didn't Kill Your Daughter, 2007 Israeli documentary37
- Pregnant Man, 2008 documentary about Thomas Beatie in the final weeks of his pregnancy and the birth of his first child, Susan38
- My Friend from Faro, 2008 german drama
- Gender Resignner, 2010 documentary
- Enough Man, 2010 documentary
- STILL BLACK: a portrait of black transmen, 2008 documentary about black trans men
- Becoming Chaz, 2011 documentary about Chaz Bono's transition
- Tomboy (2011 film), 2011 drama
- Romeos (2011), drama
- Boy I Am, documentary
- "How Frequently Does Transsexualism Occur?" by Lynn Conway
- "There are more of us than you think" by Joanne Herman
- The Alliance of Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgendered and Straight Ally Students, FAQ - Transgenderism
- Answers to Your Questions About Transgender Individuals and Gender Identity
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. "GLAAD Media Reference Guide, 8th Edition. Transgender Glossary of Terms", GLAAD, USA, May 2010. Retrieved on 2011-03-04.
- Hudson's FTM Resource Guide,FTM Basics: Terminology
- LAMBDA Glossary
- "transfag". Urban Dictionary. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Hudson's FTM Resource Guide, FTM Basics: Terminology
- Institute for Judaism and Sexual Orientation, Glossary of Terms and Usage
- "What is transition?" FTM Australia
- Transgender emergence: therapeutic guidelines for working with gender-variant people and their families (2004), Arlene Istar Lev, Routledge, ISBN 0-7890-2117-X, 9780789021175.
- "The Misconception of 'Sex' In Title VII: Federal Courts Reevaluate Transsexual Employment Discrimination Claims" (2008), Amanda S. Eno, Tulsa Law Review, Spring, 2008, 43 Tulsa L. Rev. 765, University of Tulsa.
- "Does Gender Matter? by Ben A Barres | Learn Science at Scitable". Nature.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- [ABC 20/20 with John Stossel, 1995, Americas Most Wanted, adviser on film "Boys Don't Cry"
- [NPO, Reg. Florida 1995]
- Wilson, Cintra (2011-05-06). "Chaz Bono, Reluctant Role Model". The New York Times.
- dead link
- Cameron, Loren (1996). Body Alchemy. Cleis Press. ISBN 1-57344-062-0.
- "Ryan Cassata". Ryan Cassata. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Web Easy Professional Avanquest Publishing USA, Inc. (2013-03-01). "Home". Jamisongreen.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "History of Rap Music". KatastropheRap. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- dead link
- Longman, Jere (2004-01-26). "East German Steroids' Toll: 'They Killed Heidi'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-03-28.dead link
- dead link
- RyanSallans.com (2013-01-18). "FTM: Scouting the Unknown". RyanSallans.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Middlebrook, Diane Wood (1999). Suits Me: The Double Life of Billy Tipton. Mariner Books. ISBN 978-0-395-95789-9.
- "d e l l a g r a c e v o l c a n o". Dellagracevolcano.com. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Valerio, Max Wolf (2006). The Testosterone Files. Seal Press. ISBN 978-1-58005-173-6.
- dead link
- Barlow, Rich. "New Episcopal Chaplain a Role Model | BU Today | Boston University". Bu.edu. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Christ Church Cambridge: Leadership: The Reverend Dr. Cameron Partridge". Cccambridge.org. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Mom, I Didn't Kill Your Daughter". San Francisco Jewish Film Festival. 2008.
- "Pregnant Man". September Films. 2008.
- Transman at the Open Directory Project
- Medical Therapy and Health Maintenance for Transgender Men: A Guide For Health Care Providers free ebook, ISBN 0-9773250-0-8
- FTM International An organization serving the female-to-male trans community.
- Becoming a Visible Man by Jamison Green
- Just Add Hormones: An Insider's Guide to the Transsexual Experience by Matt Kailey
- Transmen and FTMs: Identities, Bodies, Genders, and Sexualities by Jason Cromwell
- FTM: Female-to-Male Transsexuals in Society. by Aaron H. Devor
- Second Son: Transitioning Toward My Destiny, Love and Life by Ryan Sallans
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA