Smith, Elder & Co.
|Founder||George Smith and Alexander Elder|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Publication types||Books, magazines|
They are notable for producing the first edition of the Dictionary of National Biography (DNB).
Other major authors published by the firm included Robert Browning, George Eliot, Elizabeth Gaskell, Thomas Hardy, Richard Jefferies, George MacDonald, Charles Reade, John Ruskin, Algernon Charles Swinburne, Alfred Tennyson and George Gissing.4
- The Comic Offering volumes one through five by Louisa Henrietta Sheridan, 1831-1835
- Friendship's Offering, 1837
- Illustrations of the Zoology of South Africa by Andrew Smith, 1838
- Zoology of the Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin, 1838
- Modern Painters by John Ruskin, 1843
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, 1847
- The History of Henry Esmond by William Makepeace Thackeray, 1852
- Morocco in Diplomacy by Edmund Dene Morel, 1912
- Jane Austen: Her Life and Letters, A Family Record by William and Richard Arthur Austen-Leigh, 1913
- "Business Correspondence of Smith, Elder, and Co., 1850–1908: Finding Aid". Princeton University Library. 2008. Retrieved 2012-07-07. "Abstract. Consists, for the most part, of business correspondence of George Smith relating to the Cornhill Magazine, which he founded in 1859, and other publishing business of Smith, Elder, and Co., the London publishing firm."
- Forbes, Alexander (1839). California: A History of Upper and Lower California. Cornhill, London: Smith, Elder and Co.
- Steve King. "Charlotte Bronte. Charlotte Bronte as "Currer Bell"". Today in Literature. Retrieved 2012-07-07. "Smith, Elder and Co. took the risk on passages like that, and Jane Eyre was an immediate and controversial hit."
- "George Murray Smith (1824–1901)". oxforddnb.com. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
|This article about a media company in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a publishing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA