Oggy and the Cockroaches
|Oggy and the Cockroaches|
Action, Adventure, Romance
|Format||Animated television series|
|Created by||Jean-Yves Raimbaud|
|Directed by||Olivier Jean-Marie|
|Country of origin||France|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||269 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Marc du Pontavice|
|Running time||7 minutes per episode|
Xilam (Season 3-present)
|Original channel||France 3
|Picture format||(SDTV) (Season 1-3)
(HDTV) (Season 4)
|Original run||28 November 1998 – present|
|Related shows||Space Goofs
Zig and Sharko
The show centers on Oggy, a content, blue cat, who would prefer to spend his days watching television and eating - if not for the three roaches in the household: Joey, Dee Dee and Marky (named after members of the punk group Ramones). The trio seems to enjoy making Oggy's life miserable, which involves mischief ranging from (in most cases) plundering his fridge to such awkward things like hijacking the train Oggy just boarded. Oggy usually finds creatures accompanying him to the end of the episode, such as crabs, clams, a horse, a very technologically advanced child, a puppy, and an octopus. However, it's not always Oggy who wins.
The cartoon relies on slapstick humour, much like its "ancestor", Tom and Jerry, only amplifying the level of extremities up a notch. While traditional slapstick cartoon characters prefer dropping anvils and pianos on each other, this show sometimes uses buses or submarines. Despite these, however, most gags are easily accessible and enjoyable for younger viewers. Since dialogue is kept to a minimum, the humour is entirely visual.
- Oggy is an overweight blue cat. Oggy usually spends his time either watching TV or doing housework - when not chasing the cockroaches. He is a male, but sometimes acts like a female. and He age is 30. Despite the constant mayhem caused by the cockroaches, Oggy has developed a sort of love-hate relationship with them, having lived with them for a long time. It was revealed in the episode The Outsider that Oggy is terribly afraid of mice. Oggy has a Volkswagen Beetle (like Bob's) and a scooter. Whenever he finds himself alone in his house, he will eventually begin to miss the cockroaches along with their pranks. Oggy has come to realize that without the cockroaches, nothing fun or interesting ever happens in his life. According to executive producer Marc du Pontavice, the character of Oggy was named after punk rock musician Iggy Pop.1
- Joey, a pink-bodied, purple-headed roach with a pink right eye and yellow left eye, is the self-proclaimed leader of the roaches. Even though he's the smallest roach in the group, most of the time he's the brains behind the operations, but is sometimes forced to go solo, because his companions often think his plans are stupid. He also likes to date females (usually a bee) and if he concentrates on one thing, he always perseveres.
- Marky is a suave heartbreaking, grey-bodied, green-headed roach with pink eyes; he is the tallest of the three roaches and often doesn't really care about what the two others are doing. While he originally used to love causing mischief just like the other cockroaches, he has grown to be more laid-back in later episodes, though he still enjoys hanging out with Joey and Dee Dee and causing general mayhem like he has always done. His hobbies are dating puppets and reading books. He also has bad breath, as revealed in the episode It's a Small World.
- Dee Dee is an ever-hungry, devour-it-all purple-bodied, orange-headed roach with green eyes. His appetite sometimes reaches insane proportions, often resulting in the consumption of larger animals or other things (such as hyenas in one case and, due to the effects of a poisonous mushroom in another case, an insect). Other instances include the fish on the wallpaper (Oggy's Clone) and a clownfish (Scuba Diving). He is known to like opera. Sometimes it is shown that his armpits and feet are so foul-smelling, the juice they produce is toxic and melt objects.
- Jack is the other cat in the show. He is Oggy's cousin and the complete opposite of Oggy. He age is 30. Jack is short-tempered, violent, arrogant - a perfect target for the roaches to annoy. He often finds himself building huge machinery, such as roach-catching contraptions, most of the time resulting in them backfiring. He is also very interested in chemistry (that is, the more explosive parts of it). Jack often sleeps over at Oggy's house. Jack can come into Oggy's home without knocking and he often visits to see Oggy and help him against the roaches' plots. He owns a monster truck and his telephone number is 2. At times, he bullies Oggy. Jack seems to be the strongest character in the show. He likes to show off, challenge the roaches and date girls – mainly Oggy's sister Monica. He is sometimes seen trying to propose to Monica, but the cockroaches' pranks always make him stop short. In one episode, they seem to have a baby together and ask Oggy to babysit their child, suggesting that they are married.Jack never likes to loose as once that in a chess match he loose he made Oggy s' home in to two parts.
- Bob is a fierce brown bulldog, who is Oggy's neighbour. He has severe anger management issues. He age is 29. A running gag in the show has Oggy or Jack doing something that accidentally crushes Bob or shaves his fur or destroys his house, with Bob then beating up Oggy or Jack off-screen. He does not always pummel Oggy, as seen in Baby Boum and Police Academy. He has some sort of friendship with Jack, as notably seen in Olivia. He is known to like boxing.
- Monica is Oggy's twin sister and Jack's love-interest. In one episode (Don't Rock the Cradle), they seem to have a child together. She visits Oggy's house every now and then. She age is 29. She is well known for being very active and likes to take on physical challenges such as sky diving and bungee jumping. She's always seen skating around on her inline skates. Out of all the main characters, she has the least number of appearances; even fewer than Bob. Monica has rarely appeared onscreen with the cockroaches or Bob. There is a glitch in the Hindi version owing to Oggy and Monica's relationship. In some episodes, Monica is introduced as Oggy's childhood friend, while in some she is his sister. She also appeared in "Oggy is getting married".
- Olivia is a white cat and Oggy's new neighbour and new love interest. She loves nature, even Oggy's enemies Joey, Marky and Dee Dee, leading to Oggy acting nice every time she's around. She age is 28. She always breaks down when someone hurts any part of nature. She also cares a lot about her looks; in the episode Olivia's Pimple when she sees a pimple on her face she refuses to leave her house and wears a cushion cover over her head.
- Lady K is the new female in the show and the roaches' new love interest. She's the roach from Olivia's house and has a major role in Lady K, The Cucaracha, Wake~Up My Lovely, Shoplifting and appeared as cameo on Oggy is Getting Married.
|2010 : Oggy et les Cafards : Le Show du Chat (Sony Music Entertainment)|
|1.||"Générique Oggy et les Cafards"||0:39|
|2.||"Gaga des Gags d'Oggy"||2:48|
|3.||"Interlude « Le Réveil d'Oggy »"||0:19|
|4.||"Matez le Matou"||2:19|
|5.||"Interlude « Un Chat Bien Botté »"||0:21|
|7.||"Interlude « Jack, un Ami qui vous Veut du Bien »"||0:22|
|8.||"Jack le Pote"||2:11|
|9.||"Interlude « Cafard-naüm »"||0:19|
|11.||"Interlude « Le Chat Volant »"||0:20|
|12.||"Dans l'Œil du Chat"||4:58|
|13.||"Interlude « Cat's Woman »"||0:20|
|15.||"Interlude « Blues Cat »"||0:24|
|16.||"Oggy le Chat Chou"||1:53|
|17.||"Interlude « Cafards à la Playa »"||0:52|
|18.||"Le Ragga d'Oggy"||2:54|
|19.||"Générique Oggy et les Cafards"||0:42|
|20.||"Oggy Never Falls in Love (Bonus in dematerialised version)"||3:36|
- 16 April 2010 : Plouf, prouf, vrooo !
- 5 November 2010 : Crac, boum, miaouuuuu !
- 23 September 2011 : Bip...bip...bip...
Five DVDs came out in 2003 within the United States, with 12 episodes each. In 2005, several VHS's were released in NYC.
On 8 October 2008, a French DVD boxset of the complete first series plus the pilot and the episode Working Cat, is available. On 6 September 2010, three French DVD boxsets of the complete first series, of the complete second series and of the complete third series are available. On July 2011, a French DVD boxset containing all episodes from the season 1, from the season 2 and from the season 3 is available.
A magazine version, called Oggy et les Cafards, le mag came out in France in 2009 (2 issues),5 then again in 2011.
The film Oggy and the Cockroaches: The Movie (originally Oggy et les Cafards: Le film) was released to theatres on August 7, 2013.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
The show Oggy and the Cockroaches is available in a number of countries worldwide, including traditional broadcasts, on-line distribution and other sources.
List of broadcasters
- "Interview with Marc du Pontavice" (in French). Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- Jeansanteuil (2010-12-29). "Oggy et ses cafards, le dessin animé culte enfin en cd et dvd !" (in French). Le Post(fr). Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "Nouveau en DVD et CD : Oggy et les cafards !" (in French). Fémin Actu. 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "Oggy and the Cockroaches in comics" (in French). Dargaud. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "NoOok - L'Atelier graphique des éditeurs". NoOok.fr (in French). Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "1 - Magazine Oggy et les Cafards en commande sur ZePresse.fr" (in French). ZePresse.fr. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "Picture of the n°1 of 2011 of the magazine Oggy et les Cafards, le mag". sc.turbopige.com (in French). Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "2 - Magazine Oggy et les Cafards en commande sur ZePresse.fr" (in French). ZePresse.fr. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- Official website (French)
- Website of the producer Xilam (English)
- Oggy and the Cockroaches at the Internet Movie Database
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA