Macomb Township, Michigan
|Township of Macomb, Michigan|
|— Township —|
|• Supervisor||Janet Dunn|
|• Total||36.3 sq mi (94.0 km2)|
|• Land||36.3 sq mi (93.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2) 0.06%|
|Elevation||604 ft (184 m)|
|• Density||1,391.7/sq mi (537.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||48042, 48044|
|GNIS feature ID||16266602|
Macomb Township is a general law township and northern suburb of Detroit located in Macomb County in the U.S. state of Michigan, in the Metropolitan Detroit region. The township's population was 50,478 at the 2000 census. The 2010 Census places the township's population at 79,580, making it Michigan's fastest growing major municipality.
There are no incorporated villages within the township, but there are three unincorporated communities:
- Macomb is located in the northwest part of the township at Clinton River.3 on Romeo Plank Road near the Middle Branch of the
- Waldenburg is located in the central portion of the township at 4 chiefly in the 22 Mile Road area. , a few miles south of Macomb on Romeo Plank Road and the Clinton River,
- Meade is located in the northeast portion of the township at Ray Township5 at 26 Mile Road and North Avenue. on the boundary with
||This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
The early founders of Macomb Township arrived in the early 19th century in search of flat and fertile farmland, like that near the Clinton River. Many of these early settlers were of German descent, and the German influences remain today. The Township of Macomb was officially approved by the Legislative Council on March 7, 1834.
Macomb Township was also a large part of the lumber and logging industry of Southeast Michigan in the late 19th century and early 20th century. Logs would be transported south from Wolcott Mill in Ray Township, down the Middle Branch Clinton River to sawmills. This route became known as Romeo Plank, and is the name of the modern-day road that runs down the same route.
Macomb Township experienced significant growth during the period of 2000-2008, boasting a 48% increase in population.6
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.3 square miles (94 km2), of which, 36.3 square miles (94 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.06%) is water. The area is predominantly mixed of flat fertile land and swampy wetland, but as of the housing boom since the late 90s, the area has been largely suburbanizing over the last few years.
||Washington Township||Ray Township||Lenox Township|
|Shelby Township||Chesterfield Township|
|Sterling Heights||Clinton Township||Harrison Township|
As of the census1 of 2000, there were 50,478 people, 16,946 households, and 14,065 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,391.7 per square mile (537.3/km²). There were 17,922 housing units at an average density of 494.1 per square mile (190.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.12% White, 0.84% African American, 0.19% Native American, 1.41% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.31% from other races, and 1.12% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.46% of the population.
There were 16,946 households out of which 45.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.7% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.0% were non-families. 13.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.97 and the average family size was 3.30.
In the township the population was spread out with 30.2% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 35.1% from 25 to 44, 20.3% from 45 to 64, and 7.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 99.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.3 males.
According to a 2006 estimate, the median income for a household in the township was $84,901, and the median income for a family was $88,458.
- Masiela Lusha - Albanian-American actress and writer, lived here when she was young. She was born in Tirana, Albania.
- Eminem - rapper, currently resides in Macomb Township.
- Bob Learn, Jr. - professional ten-pin bowler and 5-time champion on the PBA Tour; born in Erie, PA and now lives in Macomb Township.
The public school districts that serve residents of Macomb Township are Chippewa Valley Schools, L'Anse Creuse Public Schools, New Haven Community Schools and Utica Community Schools.7 For public library services, the Township is served by the Clinton-Macomb Public Library district.8
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Macomb Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Macomb, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Waldenburg
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Meade, Michigan
- "Population and Households in Southeast Michigan, 2000-2008" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Macomb County School District Map". Michigan School District/County Series. Michigan Department of Information Technology. March 2008. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Navigate Your Neighborhood Libraries" (PDF). Suburban Library Cooperative. p. 7. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA