|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2009)|
When Ki no Tsurayuki wrote the Japanese preface (仮名序 kanajo ) of the Kokinshū, he selected Kisen as one of the six poetic sages (六歌仙 rokkasen ) whose work was to be considered as superior. Tsurayuki says the following to comment on Kisen's work.
- ことばかすかにして 始め終り たしかならず。
- kotoba kasuka ni shite hajime wohari tashikanarazu. (note: exact transcription using classical kana orthography)
- The use of words is a delicate thing—from start to end it does not express the thing that actually is.
- いはば、 秋の月を見るに、 暁の雲に あへるが ごとし。
- ihaba, aki no tsuki wo miruni, akatsuki no kumo ni aheru ga gotoshi.
- That is to say, to speak of the autumn moon, one compares it to the clouds at dawn.
Kisen is sometimes said to be the author of the poetry collection waka sakushiki (倭歌作式) (also known as the kisen-shiki (喜撰式)), but it is probably apocryphal and created well after the end of the Heian period.
The following two eika (詠歌) of Kisen are the only poems that can be confidently traced back to him.
- waga iho ha miyako no tatsumi shika zo sumu yo wo ujiyama to hito ha ifu nari
- Loosely: People say that I am a secluded hermit living in Ujiyama, but my hermitage is just to the southeast of the capital!
- (Kokinshū 18:983; also in the Ogura Hyakunin Isshu)
- ki no ma yori miyuru ha tani no hotaru kamo isari ni ama no umi he yuku kamo
- Loosely: What I see through the trees seems to be the fireflies (蛍 hotaru ) from the valley—or is that the luring fires (漁火 isaribi ) of the fishermen as they head to the sea?
- (Gyokuyōshū 400)
- This article is based on material from the equivalent article in the Japanese Wikipedia.
|This article about a Japanese writer, poet, or screenwriter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA