According to Bowker, there are eight iddhi-powers:4
- replicate and project bodily-images of oneself,
- make oneself invisible,
- pass through solid objects,
- sink into solid ground,
- walk on water,
- touch the sun and moon with one's hand,
- ascend to the world of the god Brahmā in the highest heavens
- addhitana iddhi, willpower
- vikubbana iddhi, the power of transformation
- manomaya iddhi, the power of the mind
- eliminiation of unwholesome states by developing insight knowledge
- samadhi-vippara iddhi, concentration to overcome the hindrnaces in the jhanic state
- arya-iddhi, the ability of the noble ones
- the power of traversing the skies like birds
- special gifts
- the power of magicians
- the power of overcoming unwholesome states
Guiley mentions eight iddhi-powers:5
- mastery over the body and nature
- fleetness in running
- ability to see the gods
- control over spirits and demons
- the ability to fly
- preservation of youth
- the ability to make certain pills
- Pio 1988, p. 60.
- Schober 2002, p. 138.
- Saletore 1981, p. 17.
- John Bowker (1997), Iddhi. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of World Religions
- Guiley 2006, p. 197.
- Guiley, Rosemary (2006), The Encyclopedia of Magic and Alchemy, Infobase Publishing
- Pio, Edwina (1988), Buddhist Psychology: A Modern Perspective, Abhinav Publications
- Saletore, R.N., Indian Witchcraft, Abhinav Publications
- Schober, Juliane (2002), Sacred Biography in the Buddhist Traditions of South and South-East Asia, Motilal Banarsidass Publ.
|This Buddhism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA