||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for books. (January 2011)|
|Written by||Moe Yukimaru|
|English publisher||Canada and United States Tokyopop|
|Original run||November 2009 – ongoing|
|Released||July 30, 2010|
Hiyokoi (ひよ恋 Hiyokoi?) is a shōjo manga series written and illustrated by Moe Yukimaru. It is serialized in Shueisha's monthly shōjo manga magazine Ribon, and has been published into thirteen tankōbon volumes as of August 2014.1 The name of the series is a pun between "Hiyoko" (ひよこ, which means chick) and "Koi" (恋, which means love).
A twenty-two-minute-long movie based on the manga and produced by Production I.G. was released in the Ribon Summer festival in July 30, 2010. The movie was later released on a DVD along with the Yumeiro Patissiere OVA.
Hiyori Nishiyama is a 15-year-old girl who is extremely shy and short. After being hospitalized for a year, due to a car accident, she starts going to high school as a freshman, along with her best friend Ritsuka. In her class there is a boy who is very tall and seems to have a lot of friends. His name is Yuushin Hirose and becomes Hiyori's friend (despite the fact that Hiyori is not very happy with his habits at the beginning). After an accident where her panties were shown to the class, she starts making friends and falls in love with Yuushin, but due to her shyness, she does not know how to confess to him.
- Hiyori Nishiyama (西山ひより Nishiyama Hiyori?) Voiced by: Ayana Taketatsu (Japanese)
- A 15-year-old girl on first year of high school. She has a height of 140 centimeters and is very shy, because she doesn't want people to pick on her. She is referred to as cute by her classmates, especially by Natsuki and Yushin. Her best friend is Ritsuka, who she has met since kindergarten. Her nicknames are Hiyo (used by Ritsuka) and Hiyorin (used by Yushin and other classmates). Hiyori admires Yushin because he can make friends easily, while she can't. Later, she falls in love with him. Hiyori also has a cat named Peuh, which was found by Yushin on the school grounds. She starts to become closer to Yushin and finally confesses her feelings at the fireworks festival.
- Yushin Hirose (広瀬結心 Hirose Yūshin?) Voiced by: Kenichi Suzumura (Japanese)
- A 15-year-old boy in his first year of high school and in the same class as Hiyori. He has a height of 190 centimeters, thus his relationship with Hiyori is referred as a "reverse Lovely Complex". He is very popular and has a lot of friends, and is normally seen smiling. Though he is very popular, Yushin does not have a girlfriend. He does not accept any honmei chocolate and rejects confessions as politely as possible. Yushin spends most of his classes sleeping or eating, which annoys Hiyori. He seems to have feelings for Hiyori. When Hiyori confesses he is about to reply but is interrupted by one of his friends. They do not talk to each other until days later during summer break, where he confesses and asks her to go on a date with him.
- Ritsuka Nakano (中野律花 Nakano Ritsuka?) Voiced by: Saki Fujita (Japanese)
- A 15-year-old girl and Hiyori's best friend. She is the person who encouraged Hiyori to become more sociable and start going to school again. Hiyori calls her Ri-chan. Her most notable feature is her red twintails. She is a part of the archery club, and prefers a guy who "will not die even if an arrow pierces his heart." A extra side story reveals that Ritsuka was very popular with boys in middle school and wondered what it would be like to love someone and to have a boyfriend. A boy confessed to her and she goes to the fireworks festival with him. However he says something about Hiyori that Ritsuka finds rude, and she hits him in the face with her bag. She runs to Hiyori's house and says that right now Hiyori is the one she loves (as a friend) and tells Hiyori that if she ever falls in love, Hiyori will be the first to know.
- Natsuki Aizawa (相沢夏輝 Aizawa Natsuki?) Voiced by: Yuuko Sanpei (Japanese)
- A 15-year-old girl who is Hiyori and Yushin's classmate. She loves cute things and is one of the people that thinks Hiyori is cute. She has been classmates with Yushin since middle school. It is revealed that Natsuki had a crush on her homerooom teacher back in her last year in middle school, but when she learned he was married she was heartbroken, so she cut her hair. Natsuki decided that she will only grow her hair when she has found someone that she loves. Her birthday is on July 18. She starts to cry when Hiyori goes out with Yushin and is seen saying "Hiyori, I wish you the best", and her classmates comment that she looks like a girl who got her heart broken. She is in Hiyori's homeroom class during her first and second year and is one of Hiyori's close friends.
- Kisaki Tominaga (富永きさき｜Tominaga Kisaki?)
- Kisaki is a former classmate of Yushin's. She confessed to Yushin when they were young, but it is unknown what he said to her. She asked Hiyori to deliver some Valentine's chocolate to Yushin, but Hiyori broke down and couldn't do it. Kisaki attends a prestigious school. She is very beautiful, and has a 'short person complex' (she envies short people like Hiyori). She later moves to England as her dad's job is transferred there. She doesn't tell Yushin when her flight is, but Hiyori finds out and goes with Yushin to say one last goodbye. She later sends a postcard to Yushin and Hiyori and tells Hiyori to become closer to Yushin, as he may be taken by someone else if she doesn't, revealing that Kisaki has gotten over her crush and wants Hiyori to be with Yushin.
- Kou Nitobe (新渡戸コウ Nitobe Kou?)
- Kou is one of Hiyori's classmates in her second year, and sits beside her in class. He has a similar personality and height to Hiyori, causing him to constantly be teased about being perfect for Hiyori during his first year. When he first met Hiyori, he disliked her because he thought that she had a calculating personality, and believed that Hiyori was an attention seeking person. He eventually becomes one of Hiyori's good friends. He does not enjoy school trips. He later meets Ri-chan who he finds weird, and notices that she eats a lot. Hiyori thinks that Kou and Ri-chan would look good as a couple. Near the end of Chapter 24, it is seen that he has developed feelings for Hiyori, and shows he is thinking of her relationship with Yushin. At the end of Chapter 37, he confesses to Hiyori.
- Reina Matsushima (松島れいな｜Matsushima Reina?)
- Reina is Hiyori's second year classmate, but is a year older because she is a returning student from the United States. She is a happy-go-lucky girl, and isn't afraid to speak her mind. She sits beside Yushin in class, and has a crush on him, which the entire class (including Yushin) is aware of. She considers Hiyori her rival and comrade, because they were both 'rejected' by Yushin, although Hiyori has not yet given Yushin a direct confession. She also told Yushin that Hiyori and Kou looked good together. It is revealed that she wasn't always so outspoken and was very shy in her first year of high school, so she moved abroad to study and sees Hiyori as the 'past her'. She dresses Hiyori up for the fireworks display and is happy that Yushin and Hiyori are going out. She has a boyfriend from America, which shocks everyone as she says she likes Yushin. She tells Yushin that she loves her boyfriend and him the same amount.
- Miyoko Mitani (三谷美代子｜Mitani Miyoko?)
- Yushin and Hiyori's first and second year homeroom teacher. She is 28 years old when the manga starts, and has a hard time finding a boyfriend, although she frequently goes to "kouko"s. She is affectionately called Mi-tan by her first year class. She has about three cats, all of whom have been saved and given to her by Yushin. At the end of some chapters she has an after school diary where she talks about the classmates and her relationships in the past. One talks about when she confessed to a boy and they started going out. When he asks what she likes about him she replies with strange answers such as "the way you chew your food 20 times before swallowing", implying that she's been watching him and probably stalking him. He of course becomes creeped out and doesn't talk to her again. Another side chapter showed Yushin and the homeroom class discussing why Mi-tan has had relationship problems, and showed an interview with a man who said that she is really pretty but when she gets drunk she becomes "annoying". Mi-tan says that she only drinks so that she can engage in conversation, and Yushin concludes the meeting by saying that Mi-tan's personal mistakes cause relationship problems.
An anime adaptation of the manga was announced on April 23, 2010. It aired on three events of Ribon magazine: one in Tokyo (July 30, 2010), another in Osaka (August 6, 2010) and the last one in Nagoya (August 19, 2010). On October 2, 2010 a DVD containing the Hiyokoi OVA and a Yumeiro Patissiere special was released along with the November issue of Ribon.2 The anime was directed by Naganuma Norihiko, using character designs of Shibata Yuka and produced by Production I.G. The OVA adapts the first two chapters of the manga.
- "集英社 コミックス・書籍検索サイト BOOKNAV". Shueisha. December 27, 2012. Retrieved August 11, 2014.
- ""Hiyokoi" Shōjo Romantic Comedy Manga Gets Event Anime". Anime News Network. April 4, 2010. Retrieved March 15, 2011.
- Hiyokoi (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Hiyokoi (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA