Geoffrey Reginald Gilchrist Mure
Mure was born on 8 April 1893, the son of Reginald James Mure and Anna Charlotte Neave. He was educated at Eton College and Merton College, Oxford. He took a First in Classical Moderations in 1913. With the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 he enlisted in the Warwicks Royal Horse Artillery. He served in France and Belgium, 1915-18, and was awarded the Military Cross, the Chevalier Ordre de la Couronne, and the Croix de Guerre; he was also mentioned in despatches. He left the Army in 1919 and in the same year was awarded an M.A. at Oxford. He was appointed Fellow and Tutor of Merton College in 1922. He was an Oxford University Lecturer in Philosophy, 1929-37.1
During the Second World War he served in the General Staff, 21 Group War Office, and the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force. His war work centred on propaganda.
He became the Warden of Merton College in 19472 and held the post until 1963. He was Pro-Vice Chancellor, University of Oxford, in 1957.
Mure married Kathleen Mary Seton in 1927 (marriage dissolved, 1963)3 and in 1964 Josephine Browne (d. 1974).
His Who's Who recreations were listed as formerly rowing, fox hunting, miscellaneous ball games, and sketching.
He died on 24 May 1979.4
- Posterior Analytics, translation of Aristotle, under the editorship of W D Ross (1925)
- Aristotle (1932)
- An Introduction to Hegel (1940)
- A Study of Hegel's Logic (1950)
- Retreat from Truth (1958)
- The Philosophy of Hegel (1965)
- The Economic and the Moral in the Philosophy of Benedetto Croce, Reading : University of Reading, 1966
- Idealist Epilogue (1978)7
Academic articles and introductions
- 'The Marriage of Universals (I)', Journal of Philosophical Studies [later Philosophy, 3 : 11, July 1928, 313-23
- 'The Marriage of Universals (II)', Journal of Philosophical Studies [later Philosophy, 3 : 12, October 1928, 443-56
- 'Change', Philosophy, 9 : 35, July 1934, 293-301
- 'Change (II)', Philosophy, 9 : 36, October 1934, 450-60
- 'Oxford and Philosophy', Philosophy, 12 : 47, July 1937, 291-301
- 'The Organic State', Philosophy, 24 : 90, July 1949, 205-18
- 'Benedetto Croce and Oxford', Philosophical Quarterly, 4 : 17, October 1954, 327-331
- 'F.H. Bradley', Encounter, 88, January 1961, 28-35
- 'Foreword' to F.G. Weiss, Hegel's Critique of Aristotle's Philosophy of Mind, The Hague : Martinus Nijhoff, 1969, xi-xxv
- 'Cause and Because in Aristotle', Philosophy, 50 : 193, July 1975, 356-7
- Josephine: A Fairy Thriller (1937)
- The Boots and Josephine (1939)
- "MURE, Geoffrey Reginald Gilchrist". Who Was Who. A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "News In Brief". The Times (London, England). 17 March 1947. p. 4. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "JUDGE McINTYRE, sitting in the Divorce.". The Times (London, England). 21 December 1963. p. 5. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Mr G.R.G. Mure". The Times (London, England). 19 November 1979. p. VIII. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- Geoffrey Reginald Gilchrist Mure books, Amazon.com.
- G. R. G. Mure, LibraryThing.
- Mure, Geoffrey Reginald Gilchrist (1978). Idealist Epilogue. Clarendon Press. ISBN 0198245831.
- Works by or about Geoffrey Reginald Gilchrist Mure in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
John Charles Miles
|Warden of Merton College, Oxford
|This biography of a British philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA