|Type of site||Reference|
|Alexa rank||9,745 (August 2012[update])1|
|Current status||URL is redirected|
FindArticles was a website which provided access to articles previously published in over 3,000 magazines, journals, and other sources.23 The site offered free and paid content through the HighBeam Research database.2 In 2008, FindArticles accessed over 11 million resource articles, going back to 1998.456
The site was founded in 2000 as a partnership between LookSmart, which authored the search technology, and the Gale Group, which provided the articles.45 The two companies had first partnered to provide content in August of that year, and FindArticles.com soon resulted.7 As it grew, FindArticles moved away from an all-free model driven by advertising58 to the current admixture of free and paid content.
The site remained a part of LookSmart throughout the various changes in that company until it was sold to CNET Networks for $20.5 million on November 8, 2007, as part of a larger sell-off of LookSmart properties.69 Looksmart's need to offload non-critical assets in the wake of poor corporate performance, along with CNET's commensurate desire to expand its library of offerings, motivated the deal.6 FindArticles' SEO value—i.e., the frequency with which its articles appear as search engine results—likely factored into the final purchase price.610
Sometime in 2012, the URL became a redirect to Search.com.11 which is owned by CBS Interactive. As of November 2012[update], no explanation is on that site to explain what happened to the findarticles.com content.
- "Findarticles.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- Price, Gary; Kennedy, Shirl (2007-11-09). "LookSmart Sells FindArticles to CNET Networks for $20.5 Million in Cash". Resource Shelf. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- Matthew Schwartz (2008-02-11). "Bnet.com branches out: CNET business information site bulks up its content offerings". BtoB Online. BtoB. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- Bill G. Kelm (October 2005). "FindArticles". C&RL News. American Library Association. Retrieved 2008-07-18.dead link
- "Cases and Issues in the News". American Antitrust Institute. Archived from the original on 2008-05-03. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- Terrence Russell (2007-11-08). "CNet Buys FindArticles From a Similarly Regrouping LookSmart". Wired Blog Network. Wired. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "LookSmart Web Search Engine to Add Journal Articles From Gale". HighBeam Encyclopedia. 2000-06-01. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- Roddy MacLeod (August 2000). "A-Z New Websites". Internet Resources Newsletter. Heriot-Watt University Library. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- Eric Eldon (2008-11-08). "CNet buys FindArticles.com from LookSmart for $20.5 million". Venture Beat. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- Kristen Nicole (2007-11-07). "CNet Acquires FindArticles: Part of its Refocus?". Mashable. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "Metasearch Search Engine". search.com. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA