||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)|
Esther and Jerry Hicks in 2007
|Born||March 5, 1948|
|Residence||San Antonio, Texas|
|Known for||Author and public speaker for Abraham-Hicks teaching|
|Home town||Coalville, Utah|
|Children||Tracy Geer Ayers|
|Part of a series of articles on|
Esther Hicks (born Esther Weaver) is an American inspirational speaker and author. She has co-authored nine books with her husband Jerry Hicks, presented numerous workshops on the law of attraction with Abraham Hicks Publications and appeared in the original version of the 2006 film The Secret.1 The Hicks' books, including the best-selling series The Law of Attraction, are — according to Esther Hicks — "translated from a group of non-physical entities called Abraham." Hicks describes what she is doing as tapping into "infinite intelligence".23
Esther Hicks was born 1948 in Coalville, Utah. In 1980 she married Jerry Hicks, then a successful Amway distributor. In his early life Jerry Hicks had been a circus acrobat for two years in Cuba, and then, beginning in 1948, had toured for 20 years as a musician, MC, and comedian.123 Esther has one daughter, Tracy, by her former marriage.34 Jerry Hicks died on 18 November 2011 from cancer.5
According to Esther and Jerry Hicks, Abraham is a group of entities that are "interpreted" by Esther Hicks. Abraham has described themselves as "a group consciousness from the non-physical dimension." They have also said, "We are that which you are. You are the leading edge of that which we are. We are that which is at the heart of all religions." Abraham has said through Esther that whenever one feels moments of great love, exhilaration, or pure joy, that is the energy of Source, and that is who Abraham "is".
"Jerry and Esther never used the word channeling," Abraham clarifies. "It is used when applied to them, but they have never used it, because it means many things of which they are not, you see."
"You could leave the channeling out of it. Call it inspiration; that's all it is. You don't call the basketball player a channeler, but he is; he's an extension of Source Energy. You don't call the surgeon a channeler, but he is. You don't call the musician, the magnificent master musician, you don't call him a channeler, but he is. He's channeling the broader essence of who he is into the specifics of what he is about."
Esther herself calls Abraham "infinite intelligence," and to Jerry they are "the purest form of love I've ever experienced." Her teachings (referred to as Abraham–Hicks teachings) are based on this experience. The basic tenets of the teachings include that people create their own reality through their thoughts, that emotions are constantly guiding people toward where they want to go, and that life is supposed to be fun. The essence of Abraham–Hicks' teachings since 1986 has been presented as follows:6
- Individuals are physical extensions of the non-physical.
- People are in their bodies because they chose to be.
- The basis of life is freedom; the purpose of life is joy.
- People are creators; they create with their thoughts.
- Whatever people can imagine totally & completely, by creating a perfect vibrational match, is theirs to be, or do, or have.
- Individuals choose their creations as they choose their thoughts.
- Emotions indicate what people are creating, either consciously or subconsciously.
- The Universe adores people; it knows their broadest intentions.
- Individuals should relax into their natural well-being, and know that all is well.
- Life is not meant to be a struggle, but a process of allowing.
- People are creators of "thoughtways" on their unique "paths of joy".
- Actions and money are by-products of focusing on joy.
- Individuals may depart their body without illness or pain.
- People cannot die; their lives are everlasting.
A large part of Hicks' work centers around the Law of attraction, a concept written about in the early 1900s by William Walker Atkinson (1862–1932), in his book Thought Vibration or the Law of Attraction in the Thought World (1906).7
Esther Hicks was a narrator and star of the original version of the film The Secret, as well as a central source of the film's inspiration.3 The footage featuring Hicks was removed from the later "Extended Edition" after the film's creator Rhonda Byrne, who has been involved in contractual disputes and litigation regarding the film, rescinded the original contract covering Hicks' participation,4 and asked that Hicks relinquish her "intellectual property rights in these areas forever".8 In an open letter posted on the internet, Hicks stated that she had been "uncomfortable with what felt to us like a rather aggressive marketing campaign," and that ultimately Abraham gave her the following advice: "Whenever you are given an ultimatum that says, 'if you don't do this, then we will have to do such and such,' it is best that you just let it go and move on. Otherwise there is always another, and this, and this, and this?"8 The letter doesn't condemn Byrne, but clarifies why Hicks no longer appears in The Secret.
Hicks has since posted a video on YouTube further explaining her discomfort with The Secret and finally, her decision to discontinue involvement with the film.9
Hay House, Inc. published the Hicks' best-selling book, Ask and it is Given, in September 2004. Since that book they have also published five more New York Times bestsellers: The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent (January 2006), The Law of Attraction (October 2006), The Astonishing Power of Emotions (September 2008), Money and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Health, Wealth & Happiness which ranked #1 two weeks after its release in August 2008 and The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships (2009).1011 A series of fictional children's books, Sara I, II, and III, is also available. Several of their books were translated into Spanish, French, Italian, German, Dutch, Swedish, Czech, Slovenian, Slovak, Serbian, Romanian, Russian and Japanese.
- A New Beginning I: Handbook for Joyous Survival, by Jerry and Esther Hicks. Published by Abraham–Hicks Publications, 5th edition, 1988. ISBN 0-9621219-3-2.
- A New Beginning II: A Personal Handbook to Enhance your Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness, by Jerry and Esther Hicks. Published by Abraham–Hicks Publications, 1991. ISBN 0-9621219-1-6.
- Sara and the Foreverness of Friends of a Feather, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Abraham–Hicks Publications, 1995. ISBN 0-9621219-4-0.
- Ask and it is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Hay House, 2005. ISBN 1-4019-0799-7.
- The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent: Living the Art of Allowing, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Contributor Louise L. Hay. Published by Hay House, 2005.ISBN 1401906958.
- The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Hay House, 2006. ISBN 1-4019-1227-3.
- Sara, Book 1: Sara Learns the Secret about the Law of Attraction, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Illustrated by Caroline S. Garrett. Published by Hay House, 2007. ISBN 1-4019-1158-7.
- Sara, Book 2: Solomon's Fine Featherless Friends, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Illustrated by Caroline S. Garrett. Published by Hay House Inc, 2007. ISBN 1-4019-1159-5.
- Sara, Book 3: A Talking Owl is Worth a Thousand Words!, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Illustrated by Caroline S. Garrett. Published by Hay House Inc, 2008. ISBN 1-4019-1160-9.
- The Astonishing Power of Emotions, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Hay House Inc, 2008. ISBN 1-4019-1246-X.
- Money and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Health, Wealth & Happiness by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Hay House, 2008. ISBN 1-4019-1881-6.
- The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Published by Hay House, 2009. ISBN 1-4019-1875-1.
- Getting into the Vortex: Guided Meditations CD and User Guide by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Release date November 15, 2010. Published by Hay House, 2009. ISBN 978-1-4019-3169-8.
- "Shaking Riches out of the Cosmos". The New York Times. February 25, 2007. Retrieved November 16, 2008.
- "Dirty Little 'Secret'". New York Post. February 25, 2007. Retrieved November 16, 2008.
- "Interview: The couple who claim they can make you rich beyond your wildest dreams". The Independent. July 8, 2007. Retrieved November 16, 2008.
- "The secret of Rhonda's success". The Australian. August 23, 2008. Retrieved April 5, 2009.
- "Note from Esther about Jerry". Law of Attraction blog. November 23, 2011. Retrieved December 18, 2008.
- "Abraham-Hicks Official Website, About". Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- William Walker Atkinson (1906). Thought Vibration or the Law of Attraction. Advanced Thought Publishing.
- "Letter to Friends". Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- Abraham: The Secret behind The Secret — Esther & Jerry Hicks. YouTube. April 28, 2007. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "Best Sellers, August 31, 2008". The New York Times. August 31, 2008. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Best Sellers, October 4, 2009". The New York Times. October 4, 2009. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Esther Hicks|
- Abraham–Hicks Official website
- Abraham–Hicks's channel on YouTube
- Introductory Tape as an MP3 download on the official Abraham–Hicks site — A 75 minute introductory audio released under the Creative Commons license. It summarizes how the Hicks' were introduced to Abraham.
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA