Concordia Normal School
Concordia Normal began on March 10, 1874 with Professor E. F. Robinson as the Principal. The school opened for students on September 16 that same year. In 1875, former State Superintendent H. D. McCarty was named president of the college. Sixty-six students were enrolled in the first year and in 1875 enrollment more than doubled to 171 students.1
Some in the area and in the state government felt the opening of the school was premature due to lack of development in the area, a recent grasshopper infestation and drought.2 Depending upon state aid, the school closed on March 18, 1878 (a little before that of the Leavenworth Normal School).3 Following the "Miscellaneous appropriations bill of 1876"4 state normal schools were then consolidated to what is now Emporia State University5
- Kansas Collection Books "William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas"
- Combined Kansas Reports Kansas Legislature reports, 1875, p173
- A history of the State normal school of Kansas: for the first twenty-five years By Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia
- Transactions of the Kansas State Historical Society, Volume 6 By Kansas State Historical Societ]
- A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans "State Normal School, Concordia" by William E. Connelley, transcribed by Carolyn Ward, 2000
|This article about a university or college in Kansas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA