Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park
Information from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia—a reliable source for your research. Click to cite:
Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park is a national park in Sumatra, Indonesia. The park has a total area of 3,568 km², and spans three provinces: Lampung, Bengkulu, and South Sumatra. Together with Gunung Leuser and Kerinci Seblat national parks it forms a World Heritage Site, Tropical Rainforest Heritage of Sumatra.1
Flora and fauna
The park is home to many endangered species, including:
- Sumatran Elephant (about 500 animals, or 25% of the total remaining population of this subspecies live in the park)
- Sumatran Striped Rabbit (most recent records of this poorly known species have been from the park)
- Sumatran Rhino (an estimated 60-80 Sumatran rhinos live in the park; approximately the same number live in Gunung Leuser National Park, and when combined the two parks account for the majority of this species' population)2
- Sumatran Tiger (approximately 40 adult tigers or 10% of the remaining Sumatran tigers live in the park).
Conservation and threats
Starting as a Wildlife Sanctuary in 1935, the area became a National Park in 1982. The park has recently lost 20% of its forests to illegal agriculture, according to the World Wide Fund for Nature. WWF found that more than 450 km² of park land is being used for growing coffee, and the organisation is now working with multinational coffee companies to help them avoid buying illegally grown coffee.3
- ^ "Tropical Rainforest Heritage of Sumatra". UNESCO. Retrieved 2007-09-30.
- ^ van Strien, N.J., Manullang, B., Sectionov, Isnan, W., Khan, M.K.M, Sumardja, E., Ellis, S., Han, K.H., Boeadi, Payne, J. & Bradley Martin, E. (2008). Dicerorhinus sumatrensis. In: IUCN 2008. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- ^ Claire Leow. Nestlé to scrutinize Indonesia coffee amid wildlife-endangerment fears, International Herald Tribune.
Content from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
What Is This Site? The Ultimate Study Guide is a mirror of English Wikipedia. It exists in order to provide Wikipedia content to those who are unable to access the main Wikipedia site due to draconian government, employer, or school restrictions. The site displays all the text content from Wikipedia. Our sponsors generously cover part of the cost of hosting this site, and their ads are shown as part of this agreement. We regret that we are unable to display certain controversial images on some pages the site at the request of the sponsors. If you need to see images which we are unable to show, we encourage you to view Wikipedia directly if possible, and apologize for this inconvenience.
A product of XPR Content Systems. 47 Union
St #9K, Grand Falls-Windsor NL A2A 2C9 CANADA